Community2019-01-16T17:13:19+00:00

Frustrating SD Card Error  

Page 4 / 4 Prev
  RSS
Glasswalker
(@glasswalker)
Trusted Member

Quick update on this, so I've now run probably 30+ hours of prints through with my "super-clean-every-possible-cause-removed" setup...

So far no failures (other than the wierd spaz-out that happened a couple days ago from my earlier post).

That said, after replacing the SD card in the past, it would make it upwards of 80+ hours of printing without failures, then the SD card failures seem to accumulate more rapidly, starting maybe every 10+ prints, and increasing to every 5 prints, then eventually every 2nd print, or every print.

So I'll continue testing. Just posting the update that so far I've not been able to re-create the error using this setup. Unfortunately this isn't a workable long-term setup, I'll need to re-introduce some of those potential causes eventually, but first I want to be 100% sure that it's holding up in this config, then I'll slowly re-introduce other factors, and again test extensively. Hopefully that will let me (eventually) nail down the root cause. Unless it fails in the next 40-50 hours of prints, in which case none of the eliminated factors are the root cause.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18th June 2018 3:50 am
Glasswalker
(@glasswalker)
Trusted Member

@bhudson Ok so prints have been working well, continued testing in my 100% clean environment. Today I decided that I've put enough prints through it, that it seems to be working in the clean setup...

So I removed the PLA, ran 2 purges to be sure. That all worked fine.

When I queued up the print job and started it, it started transferring, and then all of a sudden the printer disconnected and I got the error again that said the job failed to transfer, reconnect and try again. A few seconds later the printer suddenly started emitting a loud beeping noise, and all the fans ramped up to 100%, and the LED on the filament spool button turned purple. I couldn't connect to it with my PC, I tried the Root, it also couldnd't detect it, I didn't know what to do so I powered it off... Let it sit a few minutes, and now if I power it back on, it immediately resumes the loud beep and purple LED...

No idea what to do now. Will update my Ticket with CEL UK as well with this info, but I have to leave for work now, so will have to resume this evening. I just wanted to fire this off in case someone had some suggestions on that one. (for now the printer is unplugged, and sitting idle).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22nd June 2018 12:30 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)
USA Robox Support Moderator

@glasswalker The printer doesn't have a speaker or a way to make a beeping sound. I suggest you look at another source. If it is indeed the printer you are looking at a short causing the printer mainboard to restart, protect itself and shut down, and then restart in a loop. It may be a PSU failure, though I haven't seen this exact behavior before.

Purple/pink LED on the spool button is usually a short on the 5VDC circuit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22nd June 2018 12:39 am
Glasswalker
(@glasswalker)
Trusted Member

@bhudson It was definitely the printer, or directly related to the printer (turning the printer off with the power switch instantly kills the beeping sound, and turning it back on instantly resumes the beeping).

I'll investigate further when I get home. But thanks, at least knowing the Purple/Pink LED means a short would seem to indicate that's something to look into...

Will post again later this evening once I've looked into it further to have more concrete information.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22nd June 2018 12:58 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@glasswalker I am guessing it is actually the power protection unit that is beeping. If not, you have a power supply issue that is causing a short that sounds like a beep, which is a Very Bad Thing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22nd June 2018 1:01 am
Glasswalker
(@glasswalker)
Trusted Member

@bhudson the printer is plugged into a simple "dumb" power strip which plugs straight into the wall (as part of our other troubleshooting). I was holding off on buying a UPS until I had nailed down that it is definitely power related for example... There is a (very small) chance that the power strip has some kind of beep circuit in it, but that again would indicate a fairly major power issue (short on the AC line or something) causing it to trip.

Anyway, I can't explore further until I'm back home. For now it's 100% unplugged for safety until I get home.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22nd June 2018 1:05 am
Glasswalker
(@glasswalker)
Trusted Member

@bhudson, ok, home now, and after being powered off for the afternoon and disconnected, I tentatively reconnected power to the robox, and powered it on. No beeping, no purple/pink LED.

So I hooked it back up and tried a test print, and it's printing fine now... This is bloody weird behavior.

So I'm not 100% sure it was the printer, but I'm still like 99% sure. The beeping appeared to be coming from the printer itself, it's plugged into a simple "dumb" power strip which goes straight into the wall, and nothing else in that area (aside from my PC) is capable of making that noise. The PC isn't connected to the Robox at all.

And as I said when I killed the power, it immediately stopped, and when I powered it back on before it immediately started (within only a couple ms of hitting the switch kind of thing).

Anyway, beeping aside, as you suggested pink/purple means 5V short, which is disturbing...

I'm wondering if there is some kind of intermittent failure/damage in the power supply itself, causing all these strange intermittent errors I've been seeing (including the SD card errors?)

Anyway, running another test now... Will let you know if the wierd beeping comes back. (and I'll try a bit harder to narrow down it's exact source)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22nd June 2018 7:33 am
BHudson
(@bhudson)

@glasswalker I have no idea. I suspect that you have local power issues that caused the PSU to go into some type of loop and you were actually hearing a capacitor whine, but that is total guesswork. I would look into a filter. A good battery backup will act as a filter, but if you aren't ready to afford that you can look into a stand-alone filter that will clean up the power. I have one on my system and that may be part of the reason I have never had a power issue on my PC or printers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22nd June 2018 7:49 am
Glasswalker
(@glasswalker)
Trusted Member

Another quick update, after that one time, the "Purple LED + Beeping" thing hasn't repeated.

It has however repeated the "Transmission Error" a couple more times. Each time it ends up in that wierd loop of not being able to cancel the job, where it repeats errors, and the state gets messed up essentially.

Restarting the printer, AND automaker, seems to solve the problem, failure to do BOTH of those tasks results in the same error over and over again on the same print until both tasks are completed.

No more SD card failures so-far. Will start re-introducing factors soon that may have been causing the SD card errors, however I'm wondering as I mentioned in my earlier post, if this is all related somehow, perhaps to a power supply problem.

Will keep at it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25th June 2018 1:44 am
Ken
 Ken
(@kenjkelly)

@glasswalker  I had the same problem, where I received constant SD card errors on a 4 hour build (in Draft) in Software version 3.0.  Since it would not work in draft I wasn't about to try it in 8 hour 'Normal' mode, but I accidentally did and it worked without SDCard errors almost all of the time.  I occasionally found that if I turned my model 90 degrees, sometimes it would get an SDCard error in Normal.  So, I have no proof but, I strongly suspect that the SDCard problem is either/and/or mathematical/software related (divide by zero, out of bounds etc), or a real error is falling through to the SDCard error response (improperly handled error), which is why changing many SDCards, 3 computers, new  high-priced cables etc would not solve the issue, but a resolution-mode change would. So, I updated just now to 3.02 with Firmware r765  and did a successful build in Draft. Here's the Cel-Robox link to 3.02  http://www.cel-robox.com/downloads/    I'd be interested in hearing if 3.02 solves your problem.     

ReplyQuote
Posted : 2nd January 2019 12:16 am
Ken
 Ken
(@kenjkelly)

Well, never mind. My second build on Draft mode failed using 3.02, so the fix isn't there. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 2nd January 2019 3:10 am
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

@kenjkelly If you are still having problems please create a support ticket. It appears that the issue is specific to your setup and the support team is there to help.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10th January 2019 3:34 pm
Page 4 / 4 Prev
Share:
This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.
For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software. This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.

Robox

Tools

Basket

This store is being set up and will not accept orders, please visit http://cel-uk.com for full range. Dismiss

Working

Please Login or Register